Sunday, October 30, 2011

You'll never miss the Well until...by Hugh Doherty


















Inspired by Joe McCormick's story, The Importance of Water, in "Them Were The Days"(page 61), I reflected on recent holidays spent in two World Heritage Cities.

Dubrovnik in Croatia is situated on the Adriatic sea. Upon entering the old city by the Western gate the visitor may be surprised to see everyone going to the fountain to drink water. They go to "Big Onifrio's Fountain" (pictured above left).
This Fountain was built by Onifrio in 1432 to serve the city with spring water which has flowed continuously ever since. The water comes from 12 km away in a mountain above the city and flows from spouts out of the mouths of the original 16 masks around the fountain. Visitors drink from the water spouts , some even wash their faces and fill bottles of water for later use. After drinking water many people sit around and relax at the base of the fountain- a truly unique and symbolic occasion.

The City of Chester in England was the other location. Its red sandstone Cathedral dates back to St. Anslem (1092). In the Cloisters of the Cathedral there is a powerful sculpture (pictured above right), "The Water of Life", by Stephen Broadbent. The inscription on the monument reads, "Inner Well Always Springing". The Anglican Cathedral welcomes visitors from all persuasions and invites those seeking peacefulness and calm to visit the Water Garden in the Cloisters. Apart from the water feature the garden itself is beautifully designed with lots of interesting flowers and plants. It is well worth a visit and as the French would say; "il est un endroit tranquill"- it is a peaceful place.

I can recommend both cities as really good destinations for an enjoyable holiday break.

2 comments:

Mary H said...

Hugh you could be the next great travel writer! It has long been a dream of mine to visit Dubrovnik and I will visit the 'Big Onifrio' if I ever get there! Teresa and I are both reading Pompeii at the moment which focuses on the great aquaducts at that time - given your interest in this it might well be a book you would enjoy!

hugh said...

Thank you Mary, but I think I might be better to stay with the day job,for the time being at least. Hope all is going well.

Post a Comment